HP3000-L Archives

June 2002, Week 1

From:
Wirt Atmar <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 5 Jun 2002 14:06:55 EDT
Peter writes:

> Does anybody out there have experience using Minisoft or QCTerm with
>  Linux/Unix? Both seem to work well except for one VERY annoying thing. Once
>  we launch once we enter a program that uses a screen (home grown screen
>  handler), when I try to use the backspace key, it display's ^H rather than
>  actually backspacing. There must be a config file or something that has
> these
>  settings, can anyone help me out? It may be somehow connected to ncurses
but
>  I can't be sure, the compiler requires the ncurses library but we only use
>  DISPLAY & ACCEPT statements in the Screen Handler.

The backspace character on a DEC VT terminal is by default a DEL. On an HP,
it's a BS (backspace). Although QCTerm is returning the information to your
system that it is an HP terminal emulator, you must have your user profile
set to override that information and thus hard-code it so that UNIX is being
told that it is a VT-type terminal.

If you would get rid of that profile override and let UNIX use the terminal
type that the terminal emulator is returning, you should be in hog heaven.
Otherwise, you can also change your profile to say that it is an HP terminal
type. Or alternately, you can issue the command "stty erase ^H" and set the
backspace character that way.

Wirt Atmar