HP3000-L Archives

June 2002, Week 1

From:
Michael Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michael Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Jun 2002 08:57:34 -0500
TRUE or FALSE? If your network is setup properly, you can use a
M.P.E.~SPOOLED~Network~printer, configured using SYSGEN & NPCONFIG.

If "TRUE" Then, why-o-why would you want to introduce IPP, HTTP, URI,
Windows, and/or Unix into the mix?

Also, "VPN" is a Network Security OPTION, and does not have anything to
do with making a printer work or not work.

--
Michael Anderson
Spring Independent School District

>>> Paul Tykodi <[log in to unmask]> 06/05/02 08:31AM >>>
Dear Curt,

The Internet Printing Protocol (IPP) is an internet standard for
sending files to be printed from a client to a printer.  As currently
implemented, it is an application layer protocol that utilizes HTTP as
its underlying transfer mechanism. The use of HTTP and a URL like
syntax referred to as a URI, for locating the target printer, allow
the protocol to work well with routers, firewalls, and NAT's.

In the Microsoft realm, Windows 2000 and Windows XP include native IPP
support. In the Linux/UNIX realm, the open source software known as
the Common UNIX Printing System (CUPS) provides IPP support as well.

It would be possible to move the file from the HP 3000 to the remote
site via IPP by sending it to an intermediate server that was IPP
supporting. The intermediate IPP server could then forward the file to
the remote printer as long as an IPP compatible receiver existed at
the remote site. The receiver could be an IPP enabled network card in
the printer itself, an IPP capable print server attached to the
printer, or an IPP server at the remote site that could receive the
file and then direct it to the correct printer.

As mentioned in another post, a VPN connection between the two sites
would allow for a direct transmission from the HP 3000 to the printer
and is another viable option.

HTH

Best Regards,

/Paul
--
Paul Tykodi
National Product Manager

p: 603-431-0606 x115
f: 603-436-6432
E-mail: [log in to unmask]
www.intermate.com

On Mon, 3 Jun 2002 16:33:33 -0500 (Central Daylight Time), Curt
Brimacomb <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Hello all,
>
>I have a client who wants to print over the internet from one location
>another (from the HP3000 to a networked printer at a remote location).
>
>I vaguely remember something called IPP that is supposed to allow
printers
>to do this?  Is that the only way to do it?  Do all printers understand
IPP?