HP3000-L Archives

June 2002, Week 1

From:
Andrew Cartledge <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Andrew Cartledge <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Jun 2002 08:30:33 -0400
looking through the archives it appears many people have been here before,
but I have not found an answer to this one.

I previously only used the HOST.NET file to resolve names to ip addresses.

(This is primarily used by a NETIPC suite of programs to enable XML
transactions to be posted to a webserver in response to web collected
orders)

Due to increase volumes it has been proposed to use DNS to resolve the
machine to which the transactions are posted.

I have set up the RESLVCNF file in what appears to be the correct format.
ie.

 nameserver 999.88.7.6
 nameserver 999.88.7.5
 domain internal.companyname.co.uk

(as I understand it one obmits the actual 'node' from domain eg the e3000
bit)

These nameservers are internal to the site, but are linked through a
firewall to an external web service.

When I try to resolve the name via nameaddr in nettool I get

***(ERROR 134-404)Error getting IP address
and
***(ERROR 41-124)ERROR WHILE PROCESSING MENU

I am trying to understand if this is an error with the Reslvcnf file or the
name server at the other end.

When I type in a ficticious address such as BOB.COM I get the message

IP Address could not be resolved
and
***(ERROR 41-124)ERROR WHILE PROCESSING MENU

This suggests the Reslvcnf file is working in part.

Can anyone help

PS I just off to check out NSLOOKUP.

TIA