SCUBA-SE Archives

June 2002

From:
Brad Stambaugh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Jun 2002 04:51:46 -0400
Summer has arrived, (sorry Viv :-)) ...and I'm glad to be juggling the
hectic summer schedule of w$rk (including overtime), diving (six times
since returning from the Caymans), afternoons at the pool trying to wear
out my son, etc. I love summer so much that I have even convinced myself
that I really like to mow the yard. :-)

The water temps are gradually climbing. Pool temps rose 2° F each day
last week. Quarry temps are slower, but climbing. Wednesday at the
quarry, I noticed a hazy thermocline six inches below the surface, and I
wondered if this will descend to form the upper thermocline, or just
disapear. Right now, the quarry temps vary from one area to another, but
are about 68° F at 20 feet. (Mika, would you care to translate? ;-))

You could say that I'm overly aware of water temps, and I might agree. I
have been ruined by the trip to the Cayman Islands. So warm, so
beautiful, so full of life. Like one night with the woman of my dreams,
I just want more of it. I've got that far away look in my eyes all the
time, as I daydream of swaying in the warm, turquoise blue Caribbean
waters, of Little Cayman.

<slap!>

OK, back to reality. But first, a few thoughts about the next NEDfest. I
would suggest we all go back for another Cayman Aggressor, but I know
you more seasoned travelers would say, "We've been there, done that, and
we've got the T shirts, and the tattoos to prove it."  (Thanks Russ,
great job!) So, I would be intrested in Layang Layang in 2004,
especially in the month of April, because (according to the website)
there are good chances of seeing whales and hammerheads.

Or how about the Palau Aggressor?!?! Maybe we could take the last Palau
tour of the season, and go back to back on the first Yap tour in August.
This might even  appeal to people who have been to Palau before.  ...Or
any of the many places in Fiji. Or Fiji Agressor.

My list of places to go just grew out of control. I look forward to
another good time, just like the one I just had,  ...where ever it might
be. :-)))

Brad