SCUBA-SE Archives

June 2002

From:
Bjorn Vang Jensen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Jun 2002 07:29:58 +0800
An interesting piece, albeit one obviously written by a more than slightly
curmudgeonly gentleman, often with his tongue planted firmly in his cheek
:-)

Clearly, L2 is not, say Phuket, where non-diving spouse can while away the
days shopping and exploring  - unless they are keen ornitologists! But then,
Asia simply does not have a Cozumel, where 15 world-class dive sites await
only a 10-minute boat ride away from the nearest jewelry shop. (And if,
against all odds, anyone knows of such a place, please don't tell Soyong!).

The comparison with a carrier-sized live-aboard is probably the most
insightful part of the article. Let's not forget that we are, after all, not
talking about partners who simply don't want anything to do with the water.
To my mind, we are talking more about world-class troopers like Brooxie, sun
worshippers like TA, and once-a-day divers like Susanne Vitoux. (JM, there
appears to a be nice beach, from the photo on
http://www.jebsens.co.uk/scuba/layang.html )

If divorce ensues from leaving your spouse all by him/herself at a swimming
pool on an island in the tropics, then... :-)

For German-readers http://www.palau.de/Malaysia/Resorts/LayangLayang/ also
gives good information
One of the best reports I've found is on
www.on-the-edge.com/OTEMag/stories/Layang.html
Asian Diver has a report by Daniel D'Orville, whom I have much respect for.
http://asiandiver.com/themagazine/malaysia/layang_layang.html

So I still think L2 is the place. Maybe Soyong and I need to check it out,
next time Alex's grandparents are out...