SCUBA-SE Archives

June 2002

From:
Crusty Russ <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Jun 2002 15:08:16 -0500
I carry a dive specific tool kit with us whenever we travel.  Many of
the tools I've chosen over the years are stainless steel, but a few old
favorites are carbon steel.  Some of these are showing signs of rust and
are in need of cleaning and treatment.

Before beginning my usual treatment of spraying the tools with LPS,
giving them a good scrub to remove rust and pits, followed by a spray of
WD40 or silicone spray, I thought it would be a good idea to see how
many of you who live a bit closer to the marine environment deal with
this problem.

I would appreciate any and all tips on what you do to remove rust, what
you use to lubricate the working parts of the tool, and what you use for
rust preventive treatments.

Best regards,
Russ