SCUBA-SE Archives

June 2002

From:
Don Ward <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Jun 2002 14:46:53 -0500
Hey everyone,

I just finished reading all the post of the last several days.  I was home
a few days and left again on business to Chicago.

What a trip!  Forgive my breach of netiquette, but let me say ' me too' to
all those who raved about this trip!  What a great time.  This was the best
dive trip of my life and I look forward to many more.

I still haven't finished cleaning up my pics in Photoshop Elements (the
less expensive version :) but will post them somewhere when I am done.

As for the "boat of shame" (that expression coined by the crew, btw :), let
me just say that Andy and I made it back to the boat, without surfacing,
under our own steam, without the air of some 3d party, and nearly without
incident!  Never........almost never did I doubt the location of the boat!

Crusty, I have loaded my pics safely and you may remove them from your
drive.  Thanks again.

Thanks to Kuty for a great summary of the trip!

The crew of the boat was outstanding!  Every last one of them went out of
their way on a daily basis to make this the outstanding trip it was.  For
the 3AM dive, Thomas got up to open the dive deck and upon surfacing from
the dive, the divers were greeted by Thomas with hot chocolate served in
silver! or so I was told.  I was sleeping like a normal person.

To clarify the weather situation, for us it wasn't bad at all.  The
crossing over was a little rough.  Some may have feed the fish but I don't
know who.  I laid down and went to sleep.  The next day, everyone was
fine.  We had a lot of clouds and it rained some nearly every day, but we
had flat water and really great vis of 100 plus feet on every dive.  On the
Russian destroyer you could see from one end to the other (150 feet (50M)
plus?).  The Captain informed us of high wind and waves on the other side
of Little Cayman, but we remained in the lea and it was great!  Also, as a
result of the bad conditions we could not see, we stayed at Little Cayman
an extra day, to everyone's delight!

In short, the best trip of my life!

Dive safe all,

/Don