SCUBA-SE Archives

June 2002

From:
Robert Delfs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Jun 2002 11:06:10 +0800
On Sat, 22 Jun 2002 10:49:48 +0800, Bjorn Vang Jensen wrote:

>..[snip]
>But because of the limitations of a CCD compared to silver halide in layers,
>some of the inherent qualities of a digital picture require digital
>processing to bring out. As such, PhotoShop or a similar program is simply
>an INTEGRAL part of digital photography. With print, the photograpic process
>begins with the pressing of the shutter and ends when the finished product
>emerges from the darkroom. PhotoShop is the digital photographer's darkroom..
>
>..[snip]

I would go forther and say Photoshop is increasingly the film
photographer's darkroom as well.  Developing slide film is a dark room
operation, but anything that happens to any of my pictures after that
usually involves a digital scan of the slide.  The process of scanning
frequently (almost always) introduces changes in contrast, saturation
and color cast that need to be corrected in order to get the digital
scan (to be used in making a digital print or JPEG image for use on the
web) to look like the original slide, similar to the problems posed by
an original digitial image.  Photoshop is therefore also an integral
part of the process of generating a print or JPEG image for an
increasing number of film photographers as well.

Robert Delfs

Robert Delfs
Reply to:  <[log in to unmask]>
Tel:    +852 2812-6290