HP3000-L Archives

May 2002, Week 5

From:
Jim Phillips <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jim Phillips <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 May 2002 10:24:01 -0400
Okay, I think we either had a power failure (unlikely because other
computers in the same room were still up and running) or we have a flaky UPS
(looking more and more likely even though we just had it checked out).
However, in looking at the system log files, and in particular, event type
148 (UPS Monitor Log), they all look suspiciously the same:

FRI, MAY 17, 2002    5:16 PM       LOG1367.PUB.SYS              SYSTEM (PIN
60)
UPS MONITOR LOG
MONITOR STATUS   :  $FFDF0089

NMEV#200@298 UPS LDEV  reports loss of AC input power. (UPSERR 0033)

LOG RECORD TYPE  :  UPS Device Event    UPS Ldev Number  :  22
AC Line Normal   :  False               AC Line Fail     :  True
Low Battery      :  False               No AC Output     :  False
Bypass Mode      :  False               UPS System Fail  :  False
UPS Inverter Fail:  False               Batt. Not Present:  False
UPS Charger Fault:  False               Output Overload  :  False
Overload Shutdown:  False               High Ambient Temp:  False
High Temp Shutdwn:  False               Battery Test Fail:  False
High Batt Voltage:  False               Low  Batt Voltage:  False
High Volt Shutdwn:  False               Low  Volt Shutdwn:  False
Prev AC Line Norm:  True                Prev AC Line Fail:  False
Prev Low Battery :  False               Prev No Ac Output:  False
Prev Charger Flt :  False               Prev Out Overload:  False
Prev Ov'load Shut:  False               Prev High Temp   :  False
Prev Hi Temp Shut:  False               Prev Bat Tst Fail:  False
Prev Hi Batt Volt:  False               Prev Lo Batt Volt:  False
Prev Hi Volt Shut:  False               Prev Lo Volt Shut:  False

All the log records for the UPS reporting loss of AC power show that there
was zero voltage (AC Line Fail     :  True).  Now, I'm not saying this is
not possible, but I'm wondering if the UPS log ever shows anything else.  Is
this a failing of the UPS monitoring software on the 3000?

I'm going to check some older log files (from tape) and see what they
show....

Jim Phillips                           Information Systems Manager
Email: [log in to unmask]     Therm-O-Link, Inc.
Phone: 330-527-2124                         P. O. Box 285
Fax:   330-527-2123                           10513 Freedom Street
Web:   http://www.tolwire.com          Garrettsville, OH  44231

I WANT MY MPE!