HP3000-L Archives

May 2002, Week 5

From:
Richard Barker <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Richard Barker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 May 2002 18:11:31 +0200
Actually there was a great documentary a while back on BBC 1, shown here in
Belgium, where it examined the motivations behind 9/11 and highlight why the
hatred for the Western nations and specifically the US had come from.

Unfortunately I can't remember the exact specifics of people and places, but
the general problem was that the US (and I'm sure other Western countries)
took a very simplistic approach to foreign policy.  I'm sorry I can't recall
the details, but it all seemed to stem from the US forcing a very unpopular
leader to take over in Saudi or Jordan (I think) as the US felt they could
manipulate him as he wished, but this angered deeply all the people in the
region.

In this documentary it then went on to show video tape of US soldiers in
Afghanistan showing Al-Qaida how to fire certain weapons it supplied, to
fight the nasty Russians.

I should point out that, although it may seem so from my recent mails, I
don't have a vendetta or dislike for the US, I'm sure my country, Britain,
is just a guilty of making mistakes.  The difference, I feel, is that the US
tends to take the moral high ground too often and that the general
population is very badly informed about the world and it's politics, so it
has a very biased view point about it's own country's actions.