HP3000-L Archives

May 2002, Week 5

From:
Chuck Ryan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Chuck Ryan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 May 2002 13:48:37 -0500
> As so many seem to have problem with M$ envirnoment that list
> is good for
> ?????????????
> How about a hardware and software compatibility listing that
> really works?

Many people have problems becuase their PC does not conform to the HCL.

I have bought PC's from the major manufacturers that are list as designed
for Windows x.xx that contain hardware not on the HCL. Some work fine,
others crashed hourly until I replaced hardware that came with the PC that
was causing the system to be unstable.

I rarely buy complete PC's anymore as they generally contain the cheapest
components the manufacturers can find, not the best. Have you ever tried to
get detailed hardware information out of HP, Gateway or Dell about the PC's
they advertise? When I do buy them the first thing I do is create an image
of the shipped partition, for warranty reasons, and then wipe and reinstall
the PC with the latest drivers and replacing anything I consider
substandard. The end result is a very stable system where I know everything
installed and with no manufacturer ad or spy software hiding under the hood.

If you just want to hate Microsoft then that is your right, but my
experiences using the software have been more positive than negative.

Comments are my own, not my employers... etc.