HP3000-L Archives

May 2002, Week 5

From:
Ken Hirsch <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ken Hirsch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 May 2002 12:12:12 -0400
Michael Baier  wrote:

> On Wed, 29 May 2002 07:22:19 -0700, Larry Barnes <[log in to unmask]>
> wrote:
>
> >"...only purchased hardware on Microsoft's hardware compatibility
list...'?

> >When I can trust M$ that will be the day I use their recommendations.  MS
> >should stand for micro-scam!
>
> Actually, IMO, MACRO-SCAM would suit much better. Their programmer's
> department sucks but their marketing is just awsome.
> Just the opposite from CSY otherwise we'd still have our MPE.

[...]

> That's what I call a monopoly. Not only tell us the software to us but
also
> the hardware. M$ might already be the biggest shareholder of Intel and
AMD.

The hardware compatibility list is just that, a list of hardware that has
passed compatibility testing.  For Windows 2000, there are over 1500
manufacturers listed in 95 categories.  The category for "System/Desktop
Uniprocessor" has over 15,000 models listed from over 300 manufacturers.
The category for "Modem/Analog" has over 3,000 models listed from over 300
manufacturers.

http://www.microsoft.com/hcl/