HP3000-L Archives

May 2002, Week 4

From:
Michael Berkowitz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michael Berkowitz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 May 2002 10:15:26 -0700
Evan Vaala writes

Just got to add my 0.02...

I took my family to see Gordon Lightfoot in Duluth MN on May 5th of this
year.  The previous night we stayed down close to the Duluth Harbor
entrance.  At dusk we saw a ship heading in, so we hurried the kids down to
the Lift Bridge to see it come in.  It turned out to be the Arthur
Anderson.  A bit Ironic I thought.  The next morning, the day of the
concert, we saw the Lift Bridge was going up rather high, usually meaning a
large ship is heading out, so we went down again.  It was the Arthur
Anderson leaving with a partial load of taconite.  It was still sitting
pretty high in the water.

Later we had to check out of the hotel at noon and had eight hours to kill
so we headed up to Two Harbors MN to see if any ships were being loaded at
the ore docks.  Tied up once again was the Arthur Anderson being topped
off.  At this point I was considering stopping at the next tourist trap in
search of a rabbit's foot.  That evening at the concert when Gordon
sang "The Fitz" as he calls it, I could feel chills going down the neck
thinking about the Anderson.  A very haunting feeling.

For those who don't know the story, the Arthur Anderson was traveling I
believe just ahead of the Edmund Fitzgerald when the Fitzgerald sank.  I
believe at one point the Anderson was behind the Fitzgerald and later
passed it.  One of the theories was the the Fitzgerald was slowing down due
to water being taken on.  When the Anderson reached Whitefish Bay, it was
asked by the Coast Guard to go back out in the same conditions to help look
for survivors.  In interviews I have read, the captain of the Anderson
notified the Coast Guard that they would go back out, but advised that in
those conditions they may indeed have two ships at the bottom of the lake.
A very brave group of individuals to go back out there.

We had also seen Gordon Lightfoot perform in Duluth in November of 2000
marking the 25th anniversary of the Fitzgerald sinking.  That day we did
the same trip up to Two Harbors and per chance came upon the Roger Blough
entering port there.  The Roger Blough was also on Lake Superior that same
night and ended up in the search.  I believe that The Roger Blough found
the oil slick that resulted from the sinking.

If you are a Gordon Lightfoot fan, if you have an opportunity to see him in
Duluth, it is pretty awesome.  The Duluth DECC Auditorium is located right
on Duluth harbor.  It is situated at the point where the ships come into
harbor and have to slow down and make a 90 degree left turn.  At the
November 2000 concert, Gordon ended his first set with "The Fitz", which I
think is pretty standard for him.  At the time, Duluth was experiencing a
great deal of high winds, snow, sleet and rain.  At intermission I took the
kids to some upstairs waiting areas where the harbor could be observed.
Sure enough, a large ore boat had just come through/under the bridge and
was making the 90 degree turn.  With the wind/sleet/rain that I mentioned
it was quite a site.  We were not able to tell which ship it was, but I
would like to think that it was the Anderson.

Also,  I have referred to ships and boats.  Don't know the difference on
Lake Superior but when I see one on the horizon, I call it a ship that
might possibly be an ore boat.
Ah riding up on the Aerial Lift Bridge.  I remember doing so in the 70's.
Not in a car, but in a protected pedestrian area.  To see Gordon Lightfoot's
lyrics and an explanation, check this web site.

http://home.europa.com/~random7/fitz.htm#line

Mike Berkowitz (Duluth native)
Guess? Inc.