HP3000-L Archives

May 2002, Week 3

From:
Denys Beauchemin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 15 May 2002 21:06:16 -0500
You should also be aware that the planet Mars is heating up also. This is
probably due to the probes we sent there, including Sojourner Truth a few
years back...  This could certainly not be due to something like say... the
Sun.

According to AP, December 6, 2001:
Study Suggests Mars Ice Caps Eroding
By Paul Recer

Vast fields of carbon dioxide ice are eroding from the poles of Mars,
suggesting that the climate of the Red Planet is warming and the atmosphere
is becoming slightly more dense. Experts say that over time such changes
could allow water to return to the Martian surface and turn the frigid
planet into a "shirt-sleeve environment."..

..the new study suggests that a dense cap of frozen carbon dioxide thought
to be permanent at each of the Mars poles may not be all that permanent...

...As the C02 ice erodes, it adds carbon dioxide to the Martian atmosphere,
causing the "air" to get thicker over time. This would enable the planet to
hold more of the sun's heat and, perhaps, eventually warm the whole planet
enough for water to return to the Martian surface...

...Caplinger said it is not known if there is enough carbon dioxide in the
polar caps to bring about such an atmospheric change...

...Other studies have shown that Mars was once awash with great basins of
water, but the water is thought to have disappeared or become subsurface ice
as the planet cooled and developed a thin C02 atmosphere.

Denys