HP3000-L Archives

May 2002, Week 3

From:
Jim Mc Coy <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 15 May 2002 14:13:33 -0400
 It is with great sadness that I report the passing of a friend and colleague, Ed Petron.

 Ed was a consultant working in the HP3000 arena in the PA, DE, NJ, NY areas and possibly some other areas prior to my working with him. He was one of those types that the experts went to when they were stumped with a problem.

 In addition to his work on the HP3000, he was a well-known Linux guru who authored several books and articles.  He also did presentations on the subject at a few NECRUG meetings.  Over the last few years, Ed became very dedicated to the free/open software movement and dedicated a lot of his time to teaching and promoting Linux and other open source products.  He spent a number of hours at my home installing and configuring Linux systems.

 In addition to his computer work, Ed was an accomplished musician and a pilot.
 He was an Air Force veteran who was also a member of the Pennsylvania Air National Guard.

jm