HP3000-L Archives

May 2002, Week 3

From:
Wirt Atmar <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 15 May 2002 13:37:07 EDT
Michael notes:

> Wirt (uncharacteristically misspeaks)
>
>  < snipped >
>
>  That's true. The number of scientists who believe that global warming is
>  *not* a threat is only slightly larger than the number of scientists who
>  believe that the earth was created 4004 years ago.

That's true. I did misspeak. While I am all for accuracy in every statement,
in my defense, I was using that example only as a metaphor for the myths that
people often prefer to believe and thus I got sloppy.

Nonetheless, all of this very much reminds me of the "Star Wars" movies,
which are also about myth and metaphor. Indeed, perhaps the most classic line
from any of the movies is the one where Obi wan Kenobi says,

     "Metaphors be with you, Luke."

Wirt Atmar