HP3000-L Archives

May 2002, Week 3

From:
Michael Baier <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michael Baier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 May 2002 16:31:19 -0400
Even so the license-plate from NC reads "first in flight", the first
flight was in Germany by Otto Lilienthal and not the Wright Brothers.
They were the first with an engine but not the first to fly.

Michael

On Tue, 21 May 2002 13:18:59 -0700, Shawn Gordon <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>so I guess we have Lindberg and the Wright Brothers to thank for all this
>global warming.
>
>At 12:57 PM 5/21/2002, Wirt Atmar wrote:
>>Today is the 75th anniversary of Lindberg's arrival in Paris. Perhaps more
>>amazing is that he accomplished this just 24 years after the Wright
Brothers'
>>first flight.
>>
>>Although the Spirit of St. Louis looks like a modern airplane, that
>>appearance is to a great degree deceiving. The Spirit was a transitional
>>evolutionary form, almost a perfect geometric mean between the Wright
Flyer
>>and a Concorde. The Spirit of St. Louis was covered in the same kind of
>>stretched linen fabric as the kite-emulating planes that Wilbur and
Orville
>>flew. The Spirit appears metallic only because of the doping that Ryan
>>Aircraft used was an aluminum-based pigment.
>>
>>The true evolutionary novelty that allowed the Spirit the power and
>>reliability to fly the Atlantic was the air-cooled Wright radial engine.
It