HP3000-L Archives

May 2002, Week 3

From:
Wirt Atmar <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 21 May 2002 16:33:17 EDT
Shawn asks:

> so I guess we have Lindberg and the Wright Brothers to thank for all this
>  global warming.

To small degree, that's correct, at least in the broader implication. But if
I were to say just one whispered bit of advice, as that given in the
"Graduate", it's "fuel cells."

This technology is not very far off (we went to the Moon with it). But most
importantly, the only significant combustion product is water.

Regardless of whether or not you're for or against global warming, being
resolutely steadfast that you'll never give up your SUV, your opinion almost
doesn't count. We are sometime in the near-term future going to run out of
exploitable petroleum reserves. While no one knows that date at the moment --
and such predictions are often dismissed by Texas Republicans because the
date of that depletion has been set so many times before and have obviously
been wrong so many times before -- petroleum is a finite quality. Given the
ever increasing rate of its consumption, you will probably see that depletion
sometime during your lifetime.

While "saving the planet" has obviously little appeal to the general masses,
having to not walk will be undoubtedly be a great incentive to develop clean
new sources of energy.

Wirt Atmar