HP3000-L Archives

May 2002, Week 3

From:
Jim Mc Coy <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 20 May 2002 13:18:09 -0400
I forgot, I do have an NIV.
But I have doubts about a translation done by a committee too.  I'm sure that there were many denominational arguments during the translation meetings, and I assume they settled on versus that all would be cozy with.
Meaning they cmae up with not exactly an exact translation that was the least argumentative.
The translations are done also keeping with traditions that are common among denominations.  But these are stil problematic if you are "seeking the truth".
I for one, got in real hot water at a church I attended when I said that in John 3, Jesus was not telling Nicodemus that he "must be born again" and "born of the water that is spirit".  He was saying "you must be born from above" and "born from the water that is spirit".  Even though there is OT support for this, and none for the "born again" , "water and spirit" translation, the correct translation is not accepted by most.
The only translation I am comfortable with i smy own, incomplete translation which I will probably put on my web site someday - and will most likely be excommunicated.

jm