HP3000-L Archives

May 2002, Week 3

From:
"Johnson, Tracy" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Johnson, Tracy
Date:
Mon, 20 May 2002 13:04:05 -0400
(What's the purpose of the "Confidential" flag when sending
this to the list?)

Well certainly, there is a large amount of capriciousness,
even downright prejudice, when choosing one of the two
basic texts as the source.

As you say Nestle-Aland text has been used for a hundred
years and nearly exclusively used for modern translations,
whereas the Textus Receptus has not.  I suggest the
prejudice is there, but it has be ingrained into
seminary students for this period of time.  I'm willing
to guess that many aren't even aware of this prejudice.

The Nestle-Aland is a compilation of about a half-dozen
uncial codices.  But the variations between them shouldn't
be shrugged off as minor as they disagree among themselves
considerably.

The relatively nowadays unused Textus Receptus compiled
by Stephens used more recent cursives.  But on the other
hand, the type of sources he used, which number in the
hundreds, agree among themselves.

Tracy Johnson
MSI Schaevitz Sensors