HP3000-L Archives

May 2002, Week 3

From:
Wirt Atmar <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 20 May 2002 10:46:49 EDT
Jim, Cecile, & Denys write:

>  The projected low tonight for Detroit is 32 degrees.  This would break a
>  record set in the late 1800's.  The high temperature today is projected
>  to be 20 degrees below the normal, and this has been the trend for this
>  month.  They say we might see a warm-up by the middle of the week but
>  I'm not holding my breath.

You all are missing the central point of the word "global." Local
instantaneous weather is always erratic, but if you want to prove or disprove
the global warming thesis, gather up the weather records from hundreds or
thousands of sites world-wide and then plot their aggregate trend.

That's exactly what the people who do worry about global warming have done.
Their concerns aren't some fairy tale. If they weren't arguing from evidence
to begin with, their hypothesis would have been shot down a long time ago.
The most appealing thing about the scientific process is that it is rapidly
self-correcting. You're free to say anything you want, but if you can't back
it up with hard evidence, you're very quickly asked to sit down and shut up.

Wirt Atmar