HP3000-L Archives

May 2002, Week 3

Date:
Fri, 17 May 2002 18:43:48 -0400
Another guy with an axe to grind, one of the joys of the Internet. His
explanation of these "discrepancies" is essentially the same as the previous
site, without being nearly as clear in referencing the text. In other words,
I would have to take his word for it, rather than thinking about the text
for myself.

Reading other pages at this site, I can't say that it is particularly well
documented. He complains that the Sun was created on day four, after the
Creator said "Let there be light" on day one. Woohoo! Maybe he should read
what Augustine wrote, discussing this very point. It should come as a shock
to no one. And a link to Augustine, or anyone else with some literary
staying power, would be welcome.

For other discrepancies elsewhere, he lists the "flat earth", claiming "Even
as late as 1492, people were convinced that silly old Columbus was going to
fall off of the earth". I suppose that there were more than two persons who
were so convinced, but I think that this case is overstated. He mentions
that "According to Leviticus 11:5-6  Rabbits (Coney) chew their cud and
because of this they are unclean.  Last time I checked, rabbits don't chew
cud.". Check again. The "Coney", the breed of rabbit in question, reingests
undigested pellets. That may not be what he thinks of when he thinks of
chewing cud, but it seems consistent with this text.

Unfortunately, some of the brightest luminaries of our time can still have
their own axes to grind, and can resort to writing some pretty vicious
things, such as Richard Dawkins's comments at.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/wtccrash/story/0,1300,552388,00.html regarding:
religion, and specifically the devaluing effect that religion has on human
life. I don't mean devaluing the life of others (though it can do that too),
but devaluing one's own life. Religion teaches the dangerous nonsense that
death is not the end.

Greg Stigers
http://www.cgiusa.com