HP3000-L Archives

May 2002, Week 3

From:
Wayne Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 17 May 2002 16:07:23 -0500
Well, most of the modern translations aren't "translations" of the King James
Version.  They're new translations from the Hebrew, Greek, and Aramaic sources,
often using older and more reliable manuscripts than were available to the King
James translators.  There will always be some unavoidable bias on the part of
any translator, but that's the value of having different translations -- to
compare and contrast them.  That's also why I studied Greek in college and
graduate school -- so I could study the New Testament in its original language
and not have to rely on translators.  (Sadly, I haven't kept up with my Greek in
the last 15 or 20 years as I should have, and I've forgotten a lot, though I can
still work through most New Testament passages provided I have a lexicon and
grammar book nearby.)

Larry Barnes <[log in to unmask]> on 05/17/2002 03:10:06 PM

Please respond to Larry Barnes <[log in to unmask]>