HP3000-L Archives

May 2002, Week 3

From:
Lou Cook <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 17 May 2002 13:38:33 -0700
Greg writes:

> Casual reading of the Five Books of Moses will show that the author seems
> quite willing to jump around within a narrative, mentioning long-term
> consequences or antecedent events in the midst of the description of
another
> event, then returning to a more or less chronological telling of the
event.

This is a very common literary style in mid-eastern literature.

> This skeptic's assertion that because creation of animals is mentioned in
> the middle of the description of man being alone and the formation of Eve,
> that this is when the animals were formed, is a deliberate distortion.
There
> are far more interesting things to consider within the text; I don't know
> why someone like this self-described skeptic has to try to find nits to
pick
> that are simple trivialities. Perhaps it's the heavy thought requirement.

Skeptics have come and skeptics have gone for thousands of years, yet the
Bible remains consistent,  true, and relevant throughout the ages. There
have been thousands and thousands of discoveries just in the last 100 years,
especially in archeology, that have verified the veracity of Biblical
accounts, locations, characters, etc. Much of the diatribe the skeptics of
1902 spouted claiming that "modern science" and "critical thinking" have
disproved the Bible are totally laughable today.

Lou Cook