HP3000-L Archives

May 2002, Week 3

From:
David Powell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 16 May 2002 18:32:20 -0700
Following is apparently a known bug/limitation of image btrees.  Seems someone requested a fix before but it wasn't done.  I am asking HP to fix and I wondered whether anyone else wants it too, or whether you all think it is a waste of time...

If you do a dbfind and chained reads (dbget mode 5) on a master using an index, then if you do a  regular dbfind on a detail under the master, the chained read on the master loses its place.  You don't get any special error codes, just end-of-chain on the next read on the master.

I know workarounds (2nd dbopen, etc), but I personally think it should be fixed because its a trap....  You write a simple program that works because it doesn't do any other dbfinds, and later (say, Jan 2007) someone makes a little change and has no idea why most of the data seems to disappear.