HP3000-L Archives

May 2002, Week 3

From:
"John R. Wolff" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John R. Wolff
Date:
Thu, 16 May 2002 17:22:51 -0400
On Thu, 16 May 2002 16:42:49 EDT, Wirt Atmar <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>I look at this table and just roll my eyes. "What a mess!" is my first
>through sixth impressions. One of the reasons that I haven't felt
>extraordinarily compelled to learn UNIX in this lifetime is that I'm sure
>I'll have plenty of time in the next. I am now absolutely convinced that
I'm
>going to spend enternity in Hell for my past sins, the most pronounced of
>which is pride, and I expect Hell to be populated almost exclusively by the
>guys who wrote UNIX. That, and lawyers.
>
>BTW: The proper Latin plural for UNIX is Unices.

Amen brother.  So much for the famous "standards" of UNIX.
Aren't they all the same so you can just hop from vendor to vendor?
In fact, based on the feedback I saw a week or two ago I was beginning to
think that there was no difference between MPE and UNIX either.

Still, many thanks to Steve Cooper for the reference guides for those of us
consigned to do time in UNIX pergatory.

John Wolff