HP3000-L Archives

May 2002, Week 3

From:
Jeff Woods <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 16 May 2002 13:35:32 -0700
Hi, Leonard.

Leonard Berkowitz asked:
> My real question is: if a job is apt to fail because of a lack of disk
> space, will the fit hit the shan based on whatever REPORT is reading
or
> based on the actual sectors in use based on what LISTF is reading. For
the
> sake of this question, please disregard temporary files that might
exist or
> new files that have not yet been etched into the system directory.

The answer to your question is "neither".  Look at what DISCFREE tells
you.  It sounds like you might have "lost disc space" where some sectors
(really 4K pages) are marked as in use in the disc free space table but
which aren't really used by anything.  In any case, it's the free space
table that DISCFREE reads and the free space table that's consulted and
updated whenever disc space needs to be allocated so that will tell you
if you're in danger of getting "out of disc space" errors.
--
Jeff Woods
Quintessential School Systems