HP3000-L Archives

May 2002, Week 3

Date:
Thu, 16 May 2002 12:11:30 -0400
Bill reported --
>> The only time I ever reboot is when the spool file numbers get too high.

John I suggested --
>> Check out the SETCOUNTER command!

John II responded --
>> MPE is even flexible enough to eliminate the reason for rebooting that
you mention.
... and then provides code to do it automatically.

to which Alfredo suggested that HP could "post the equivalent HP-UX
functionality "

My Question/Observation:

There is no need at all for this on MPE, unless you just want to pick your
spool file numbers.  (If you don't reboot or use SETCOUNTER, the counters
just roll over and keep on going without creating any problems that we've
encountered, and we have them roll over frequently!)

Is there a need for it on HP-UX??

If so, it is just one more piece of evidence that migrating to HP-UX is
actually going backwards in time and technology!  If that is the case, then
I second Alfredo's request that somebody in the migration team at HP
provide a sample of the equivalent HP-UX functionality.

Just my $.02.

don
(I want my MPE!)