HP3000-L Archives

May 2002, Week 2

From:
Michael Marxmeier <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 9 May 2002 02:07:27 +0200
Hello Donna.

> strolling thru the archives, i get the impression that in
> order to direct samba on my 3000 to backup files on a pc,
> the pc's files have to be transferred to 3000.  iow, the
> view onto the pc is not treated as a mount (mounted
> device....).  is that true?  or am i just reading too fast?

Unless your OS supports smbfs as a file system (Linux and HP-UX
come to my mind) files residing on the PC can be accessed only
through the smbclient utility (in an ftp like fashion).

The smbclient utility used to have a tar option which could be
used to create a tar archive on your server containing files
from below the mount point.

From my experience it is a quite common aproach to only save
files on the server (all important files should be saved on
a samba "drive") and simply ignore local files. In case the
PC has a problem it simply gets re-installed.

Michael

--
Michael Marxmeier           Marxmeier Software AG
E-Mail: [log in to unmask]  Besenbruchstrasse 9