HP3000-L Archives

May 2002, Week 2

From:
John Clogg <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Clogg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 May 2002 13:33:43 -0700
Tim,
Thank you for raising this very important question.  I have wondered about
(and lamented) it myself.  I submit that the problem extends well beyond
this list.  There seems to be a rising attitude in our culture that "he who
disagrees with me is my enemy".  It's perfectly natural to lash out at one's
enemies and those who seek to do us harm.  The question is, why do we
automatically regard someone with a different opinion as our enemy?  I, for
one, enjoy a lively debate, as long as some civility is employed, and no
personal attacks creep into the discussion.  The airing of differences of
opinion can be very enlightening, as each side explains the reasons for
their opinions, and points out issues that might not have been considered by
others.  I'm happy to say many members of this list do conduct themselves
quite tactfully when they argue their opinions.

Regardless of the reasons for this trend (a question we will never answer to
everyone's satisfaction), I urge everyone to calm down.  Accept the fact
that different people will have different views, and enjoy the opportunity
to share opinions and knowledge.  Be willing to admit a mistake, and please
correct others with polite respect.