HP3000-L Archives

May 2002, Week 2

Date:
Tue, 14 May 2002 18:20:03 -0400
I would think that we would have to classify UNIX as a "minicomputer
operating systems". I thought that UNIX systems are minicomputers, with the
exception of those that are smaller, such as microcomputers or the
Linux-powered handhelds. Why is mid-range UNIX surviving and ostensibly
thriving? Will it crowd out the AS/400? Is OS/400 dead or dying? Will UNIX
be absorbed into the mainframe space, running in partitions and virtual
machines, consolidation onto a single hardware platform?

So this must be what's happening in the auto industry, with the likes of
Daimler-Chrysler. Eventually, we will drive cars all made by one large
company whose name will be an unpronounceable acronym. I wonder what OS they
will run? Probably a special version of Windows, adding new dimensions to
the concepts of systems crashes and the "blue screen of death".

Greg Stigers
http://www.cgiusa.com
or as I once said
http://raven.utc.edu/cgi-bin/WA.EXE?A2=ind0008A&L=hp3000-l&D=0&P=48468

<snip>
> The most
> popular system (AS/400) in the class survived, the others did not.
> ***ALLLLL*** other minicomputer operating systems are either
> dead or dying.
> It's not just MPE, it's VAX and Sequent and Tandem and NCR
> and Unisys and
> ICL and Data General and Stratus and Wang and Convex and
> Honeywell and the
> dozens of others.  The most popular system won and all the
> others lost.  All
> of them. That's it. End of story.  Bye-bye.
<snip>