HP3000-L Archives

May 2002, Week 2

Date:
Tue, 14 May 2002 15:10:12 -0400
It also means that you can move to a new employer more easily, or that your
company can more easily hire staff, without bearing so much of the cost of
teaching them anything new and useful. It's a mixed blessing. In fact, I
would suggest that it is an illusion. It's too easy for developers to
continue to use a subset of the features available, rather than continuing
to learn the rest of the feature set. So a COBOL programmer may write their
own inline PERFORM to find an element in an array, rather than learning to
use SEARCH, for instance. "Standard" is after all a synonym for average, and
for status quo. But mediocrity takes a lot less time, and most people won't
notice the difference until it's too late.
http://www.despair.com/med24x30prin.html

Greg Stigers
http://www.cgiusa.com
where would you rather be today?

<snip>
> (By the way, this is a 2
> way street  --  I can move more easily to your competitor
> also.)  Standards
> are of much less interest to an installed base set of
> customers who are
> just trying to run their businesses with minimum disruption
> and cost.
<snip>