UTCSTAFF Archives

May 2002

UTCSTAFF@RAVEN.UTC.EDU

From:
James Russell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
James Russell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 May 2002 15:30:40 -0400
It most certainly is a scam. I had a similar one last semester involving
shares in a mining venture in South Africa. The scam artists were more
generous in my case. As I recall, the amount to be pocketed was around $36
million. I played along for a couple of message exchanges and then stopped
all communication. What they really want is your bank account number. As
soon as they get it, they will drain your account dry by wire.

I eventually called the U.S. Attorney's office. They then referred me to
the U.S. Secret Service. Anyone who gets an e-mail like this should do the
same. The Secret Service will next notify the Nigerian government and
pressure them to arrest the scam artists. Looks as if that needs more
attention on the part of Nigerian officials.

Mike Russell