UTCSTAFF Archives

May 2002

UTCSTAFF@RAVEN.UTC.EDU

From:
Amye Warren <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Amye Warren <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 May 2002 12:23:16 -0400
Dear UTC Community:

As many of you know, Amanda Billington, a UTC graduate student in Criminal
Justice and Psycholgy, was killed last weekend along with her parents.  Her
brother has been charged with the killings, and he is the only surviving
member of the immediate family.  No other family members live in the U.S.
with the exception of a cousin from Florida and perhaps another in
Connecticut, but the Billingtons were British citizens with family in
England and Italy.  Right now, Amanda's maternal grandfather from Italy and
her paternal uncle from England are here, attempting to deal with the
estate paperwork and the other legalities, as well as the memorial service.
 UTC has graciously agreed to host the memorial service for the entire
Billington family -- Amanda and her parents.  You will be getting a notice
about the service, which will be held on Tuesday at 4 pm in Patten Chapel.

I am writing to request your help with more immediate concerns.  The family
members here from overseas do not have the financial means to deal with the
costs of cremation of the 3 bodies, so that they can transport the ashes
back to England and Italy.  Nor do they have the means to support
themselves in terms of meals and so forth while they are here.  The
attorneys for whom Amanda worked, Ed Schemel and Cynthia LeCroy-Schemel,
are coordinating our efforts to provide help to the Billington family
members.  If you can help with food, donations, or services, please contact
the Schemels at 267-9555.  Their office is close by in the Doctor's
Building on McCallie Ave (Suite 213).  You may also contact me with
questions, at extension 4293.

We will also be establishing a fund in Amanda's name to continue the
reading program she began in the Hamilton County Jail.

Thank you for whatever assistance you may be able to provide.

Amye Warren
Psychooogy
Amye R. Warren, Ph.D.
UC Foundation Professor of Psychology