SCUBA-SE Archives

May 2002

From:
Reef Fish <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 May 2002 01:03:57 -0400
On Thu, 16 May 2002 13:27:26 +1000, David Strike <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>> Just add a jar of vegemite to her luggage, for Steve Catron -- who said
>> he wished you will be here, but since you will not, a jar of vegemite
>> will do since you two smell just alike.  <BG>
>
>That's one of the nicer things that's ever been said about me!  The
bastard!
>:-))))

Before Steve trots out to chomp on the bait ... I msut confess that he
did mention YOU and VEGEMITE, recalling both with fondness, but nothing
about your smell.  :-)))

>>Of course I have to
>> embellish my tale a bit, but Steve did mention YOU and VEGEMITE.  :-)))
>> I think a small jar of OZZIE vegemite will go nicely with Mike Wallace's
>> road-kill possum stew for 'em Southern folks.
>
>(snip)

>> It has occurred to me just NOW why my ORCA air computers go "out of
>> range" at 200 fsw, and hence I do most of my "deeper" dives to only
>> 199 feet.  :-)  In his ORCA algorithm implementation for air dive
>> computers, Huggins was probably influenced by Lippmann's remark, "Air
>> can used safely by appropriately trained and experienced divers to
>> depths down to 150-200 feet."  :-)
>
>I bet he revises those comments!  :-)

But only for political reasons.  When in OZ, do as the OZtrich?  :-))

>I first met John in 1991 when he was a speaker at a seminar that I ran on
>Nitrox.  (At that time it had just been introduced - despite a lot of
>industry opposition - into Oz.).  About two hundred people turned up for
the
>session, mostly Instructors and/or dive store owners.  John gave a
>supportive talk about some of the perceived benefits of using Nitrox.

John made his 150-200 feet safe-air remark in his Nitrox chapter!  :-)
But as most people do, he never mentioned the point about TIME OF
EXPOSURE that makes light-years of difference between staying at 200 feet
for 1 minute on air and 30 minutes on air!  So, no matter WHAT he says
or how he revises his comments, unless he bring in the element of TIME
of EXPOSURE, he'll be both right and wrong at the same time -- which
is the mark of a politician.  >:)

>still recall the fierce and vocal outcries from many in the audience.
>Things like, "You're advocating manslaughter!";  "It's the gas of death!";
>"You'll not only be killing divers, you'll be killing the diving
industry!".

That's what PADI folks chanted in those days.  They also chanted instant
death from sea monsters below 130 feet too.  :-))

>Those were the nice comments! :-)

No doubt.  :)

>> I look forward to reading his revised, "new and improved" version of
>> the same book.
>
>I've already got my order in with him for a copy.  But when he does
release
>it, I'll see if I can persuade him to personalise a few copies!  :-)

Order an autographed copy for me, and tell him Dr. Reef Fish will send
him as exchange an autographed copy of one of his statistics books
which had been used as textbooks at Harvard, U. of Chicago, and
numerous other US universities with recognizable names.  :-))  Then
we can call each other DF (Dear Friend, ala Giovanni <g>) at appropriate
places of our books.  <BWG>

>Strike

Good to see you back Strike, so that I have someone in the know with
whom to talk educated trash, without fanfare, even in issues in which
we are on opposite sides of some fences in our beliefs.   :0))

-- Bob.