SCUBA-SE Archives

May 2002

From:
Reef Fish <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 May 2002 17:03:35 -0400
On Sat, 4 May 2002 15:19:17 +0100, Carol Reid <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>Folks,
>I used a Motor Marine 35 MX-10 with the YS-40A strobe.

THAT's the one.   The Old strobe we had was the YS-40, and the YS-40A
has the added automatic feature and the builin fuser.

>However, the Strobe manual says
> "AUTO position -Set Aperture f/4.6 for ISO 100 and f/8 for ISO 400 film:
>The strobe auomatically adjusts for for subjects between 0.83 - 6 feet"
>Also there is a "confirmation light" (it says but I've never seen it)
which
>will illuminate for 2 seconds indicating correct exposure.!!!!

We have THIS manual, but it's about the strobe, not about how to shoot
macro with the MX-10 macro attachment.  Correct choir.  Wrong church. :-)
Thanks for trying to help.  For a minute I thought you had the recipe
the doctor prescribed.

>Here's what to do!
>Spend the whole of your time in Coz in a swimming pool doing experiments
>which Bob, of course, can supervise.   He will make sure that the
experiment
>is conducted in a properly scientific way with ALL appropriate controls in
>place and he'll make detailed notes on all changes in f numbers, distances
>from subjects etc with and without the framer.

The fly in this oinment is that I can't find a 60 fsw pool for my
controlled experiment because that's the depth the seahorses tend to
be found.  ;o)

>Then rewrite the manual!
>I DONT THINK SO <chuckle>

Right.  I think Robert Delf has already written a pretty good one!  :-))

>Sue and me would make a good pair with our PhD Brownie boxes - I had come
>accept that if I got ONE pic out of a roll worth keeping I was doing well !

Not until the new MX-10 and the macro came along, we were sufficiently
non-picky like non-pros that we keep about 20 out of a roll of 24, and
the other 4 are usually shots made by the camera itself for our having
forgotten to lock the PhD key.  :-)

>Cheers
>Carol
>BTW guys 'n' gals, I've finally got my medical cert and am allowed to dive
>again <GBHWG>.
>Big day, hopefully, will be next Wed afternoon - keep your fingers crossed
>for me!

Congratulations!  Let me know when you're ready to tackle 100-ft+
horizontal vis, 200-ft+ vertical vis, and help me look for my gold
chain at 218 fsw.  <BWG>

-- Bob.