SCUBA-SE Archives

May 2002

From:
Brad Stambaugh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 May 2002 02:28:15 -0400
Russ wrote:

>Hi Brad,

>I agree with Lee, that the water in Cayman at that time of year is
>warm, usually 80F or above. One year in late August, we were diving
>bathing suits in 84F water, it was hot! :-) Current temp around Little
>Cayman, where we'll be doing most of our diving, is 80-81F.

You didn't get stung by jellyfish?

>So, a skin would probably be adequate, however, if the water is 80 or
>less, then I dive with a 3mm, at least. The neoprene in my old 3mm is
>so squished it doesn't offer much more than a skin at this point any
way. :-)

I'm assuming your old 3mm is a full suit, or am I wrong, and it's a
shorty.

>If you are looking for a 3mm that can be used for other things, like
>an outer layer, Henderson makes a wetsuit call Hyperstretch that
>stretches up to 250percent of it's size. You really have to see it to
>believe it. >http://www.hendersonusa.com/product_hyperstretch.html#
>their main URL is http://www.hendersonusa.com

I read about the Hyperstretch in Rodales SCUBA. They gave it a good
review, but said the outer material doesn't hold up to rough use. But I
had (more or less) decided to buy a Henderson Gold "Full Core" (which is
a full suit, and a sleevless shorty combination), the main reason being
that I have a Henderson Gold 7mm 2-piece suit, and so I know what size I
need. I just thought it would be a good idea to ask people who have been
there a lot, what they wear in the Cayman's. I want everything to be
perfect in paradise. :-)

>There are lots of good skins and wetsuits out there to pick from.
>Something like the ScubaPro Glideskin is another possibility for a
>thin shorty wetsuit
>http://www.scubapro.com/consumer/products/divewear/wetsuits/stek/stek.html

Hmm... You said, "thin shorty wetsuit." That makes me wonder if you
meant shorty in your second paragraph. Scubapro's Glideskin was my first
choice, back when there was enough time to make mistakes on getting the
wrong size.

>I'm sure you'll get some opinions about wetsuits from others with more
>recent experience.

>Did you and Chad get your shirts? Only 39 days till the
>CAIV2002NEDfest!

Yes, Thanks! I didn't know I would like them as much as I do.
Excellent!!! .....Only 35 days now! It'really getting CLOSE!!!

>Best regards,
>Russ

Thanks for the advice on suits, Lee, Russ, Tim, Chuck, Jeff, Viv!!!

Brad