SCUBA-SE Archives

May 2002

From:
Don Ward <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 May 2002 20:39:31 -0500
David Strike wrote:
>It seems to me that far too many operators, hung up on the "buddy system",
>overlook exactly what the term means and put an unfair onus of
>responsibility on one or other of the divers in order to pad out the bottom
>line in their cash till!  :-)

Exactly, and it is killing the buddy system.  I'm lucky enough to always
dive in a group of friends so I am immune from such assignments.  I then
have my SOB, and we get along fine.   A really good dive is that much
better when shared with a real buddy.  These dive operators destroy such
enjoyment by assigning very poor divers as buddies to other
passengers.   Way too much is made of the advantages of the "buddy system"
in group diving.  A buddy of ones choosing is a good idea for an otherwise
lone dive.  However, in a group off a dive boat (at least in tropical
conditions), I will go "solo" before I will accept an arbitrary
assignment.  These problem divers should be the DM's problem and a guest on
a dive boat should not be afraid to point this out.

As a practical matter it has been years since I have had a run-in on a
buddy issue with a DM.  If you are solo on the boat, befriend the DM and
dive with her a few times.  She will see you are a fine diver and will stop
worrying about you. You can then do as you please.  I have notice the last
several years that DM always talk tough on orientations but otherwise let
people do their own thing.  I have even dived solo off Sand Dollar boats
(Bonaire)  with the dreaded Andre Narr!

Dive safe,

/Don