SCUBA-SE Archives

May 2002

From:
Crusty Russ <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 May 2002 21:14:00 -0500
Release is in two weeks.  It is MUCH better than Episode I and is more
like the feel of Empire Strikes Back (the 2nd in the first
series)...more dark and brooding.  I heard tale that some were scalping
tickets for over $2,000!  I will say is wasn't THAT good! :-)

The animation and SFX set a new benchmark, the art work of the mattes
and backgrounds is awe inspiring, and the technology and mechanics were
more plausible.  The story was a bit ponderous in places, but required
to make the perfect setup to the final series sequel.  All in all a
great ride and most enjoyable.  I'll see it again even if I have to pay
this time.  'You'll laugh, you'll cry, you'll kiss $7.00 good bye!'  :-)

Here is a very thoughtful commentary by a well respected sci-fi writer
about the Star Wars series that should be read by both proponents and
distracters, written after the Episode I.
http://www.salon.com/ent/movies/feature/1999/06/15/brin_main/index.html

Best regards,
Russ