SCUBA-SE Archives

May 2002

From:
Huw Porter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 May 2002 11:27:08 -0400
On Thu, 23 May 2002 21:17:55 +0800, Robert Delfs <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>How DIR do we go?  I'm still wrestling with this other similar
>questions, and Andy's query suggests to me that I'm not alone.

Its almost irritating, I wouldn't describe myself as DIR, I'm trying to
keep an open mind about kit configuration and technique, but every time I
try the hogarthian/DIR option, it just works so much better... the
backplate and wing, the unbroken harness, the naked SPG, etc etc...

A couple of weeks ago I even tried the trick of wearing your mask backwards
on the forehead when kitting up.  I really didn't expect it to, and it
looks stupid in pictures, but it $@#$& works!  :-)

>(5)  Alt 2nd and the Long Hose:  We're OK with the necklace for the 2nd
>2nd, but I don't plan to replace the hose on either of our primaries
>until they start to wear out.  As far as I can see, the logic of the
>long hose is purely related to sharing air in caves and other confined
>spaces.  We don't do caves and we don't do wreck penetrations.  If you
>want to breathe some of my air, you'll just have to come closer.

The most important point here is handing off the primary regulator, which
you can do whatever length of hose it is on.  A 7" hose is only required
for overhead diving, but I suspect if you like the harness/backplate/wing
so much, you'll also like the streamlining of a 5" wrapped primary hose,
and if you do any air sharing drills you'll appreciate the extra room for
maneuver it gives you.  I wouldn't want to go back...

>(7)  Lift bag.  Easier to handle and replace than the big OMS SMB if
>the boat isn't likely to be that far away.  Rolled up, it tucks nicely
>into two rings of bungie cord tied through the holes at the corners of
>the backplate.  Satisfies DIR Rule #6 too.

I know rules #1,2 and 3 but what is rule #6 (and rules 4,& 5 come to that)?

>I really like our reef-hooks.  They're made from an "S" shaped pieces
>of stainless steel at one end (blunt, not sharp - made from a sailboat
>mainsail reefing hook) and a plastic snap-shackle (made for light air
>small boat spinnaker handling) on the other. But the pockets I've seen
>at the dive shop and catalogs that fit on the harness waist belt are
>WAY too big just for this little reef-hook.

But I do like tidying all the 'stuff' away into a pocket.

YMM, as always, V. :-)

Cheers,
Huw
--