SCUBA-SE Archives

May 2002

From:
Lee Bell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 May 2002 21:50:45 -0400
Your logic is impecable, but your conclusions are flawed.  Sometimes that
happens.  They prepared the hell out of this one.  After something like 8
years of screwing around with it, how could it not be prepared.  Aside from
the possibility that the entire ship might decide to fall on somebody,
there's little left to harm the unsuspecteding diver, excluding of course,
the diver dumb enough to go where he's not ready to come back from.  The
ship was so prepared that a local dive shop operator I know, who served
aboard the ship, has already stated that what is left is not the ship he
knew.  He refers to it as a barge.

I really do wonder what concerns the PTB have.  The most obvious is the
navigation hazard.  I can't get excited about the risk, but the Coast Guard
gets paid to be excited about such things.  Another is, I suppose, a lack of
certainty that the ship will stay put rather than relocating on one of the
sanctuary's highly sensitive reefs.

Any way you look at it, I'll bet it will be a cold day in hades before the
sanctuary OKs another artificial reef, unless of course, the risk people
want one.

Lee