SCUBA-SE Archives

May 2002

From:
Lee Bell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 May 2002 07:37:40 -0400
Here's the official word on the Spiegal Grove.
http://www.floridakeys.org/spiegel/

There's more than a little spin doctoring involved, but there are answers to
some of the quiestions that have been raised.  I like the statement that the
ship flooded and sank more than the 3 or 4 feet that was intended.  It makes
it sound like this was the source of the problem and that it was somthing
that the ship just did on its own.  Contrary discussions in the last day
more than suggest that warnings were issued that just this would happen.

The one thing I question most is the statement that the ship is where it is
supposed to be.  Initially, it was supposed to be in 130 fsw and all
previous reports say it's now at 160 feet.  I find it notable that depth is
not mentioned in the latest report.

One of the issues that is not addressed well is what will be done by the
sanctuary.  Very early after the sinking, sanctuary officials issued
statements that the wreck was not where permits allowed it to be and was not
aligned as was proposed in the permits.  They concluded that they would take
whatever action they felt necessary to protect reefs in the sanctuary and
that the permit holders would be liable for the cost.  No matter what
recovery efforts are planned, the final word will rest with the sanctuary.
I suspect they'll be reasonable if, but only if, the ship can be placed much
as it was originally permitted for.

It would seem that the Coast Guard is already being reasonable since their
releases suggested that something might be done about the hazard to
navigation as early as today.  Arrival of salvage experts on Tuesday would
have been a day late and a million dollars short.

Lee