HP3000-L Archives

April 2002, Week 5

From:
Mark Wonsil <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 30 Apr 2002 11:32:49 -0400
Duane answers the question about running CF on MPE:
> Absolutely nothing. Why you ask? Let me count the ways:
>
> 1. The cost of the HP e3000 compared to other j2ee compatible
>    solutions is way too high.
>
> 2. No one is going to buy an MPE box to run their j2ee
> application when
>    faster and cheaper options exist.

These are really killers too.  It is hard to justify a $16K box if you can
get better performance from two or three cheaper boxes.  However, it is not
impossible to run a Java product on MPE - MiniSoft's EformZ for example.
Starting the VM seems to be the real performance issue.  I don't think it
has to be a big limitation though.  The 3000 is a good transaction machine,
so let it do transactions.  Your app server can be on another machine(s) but
the data can come from your 3000.  You can get to it using JDBC or from a
product that is coupled directly to Image like ADBC.  This architecture lets
you add more security as you don't have to give Internet access to everyone,
just from your app servers.

>4. If mpe were a superior java platform this might be possible, but java on
>   mpe is mostly inferior. Ask LegacyJ. Ask those who have tried to deploy
>   java production systems. Ask those who have tried to figure out all the
>   correct patches and versions to get it performing reasonable.

I don't know, but maybe the Java performance is better on 7.0 with the
Hotspot VM, but you're probably going to get better price/performance with
an Intel box...

Mark Wonsil