HP3000-L Archives

April 2002, Week 5

From:
Roy Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Roy Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Apr 2002 09:17:54 -0500
"Dennis Handly" <[log in to unmask]> wrote in message
news:[log in to unmask]
> Roy Brown ([log in to unmask]) wrote:
>> The storage for the subprogram is only assigned *if* it is CALLed,
>> when it is first CALLed. It is not assigned at the opening of Main.
>
> No, it doesn't work that way at all for this implementation, unless
> you dynamically load a subprogram from a XL with the CALL identifier.
> (I'm one of the implementors of COBOLII/iX and I should know.)

Possibly not the ideal person for me to attempt to contradict then :-)

> What you are possibly talking about is a permissible implementation
> by the Standard.

What I was talking about was the observation that in CM, a big program I was
developing would give a stack overflow on some runs and not others. Turned
out this exactly correlated with whether a certain SUBPROGRAM had previously
been CALLed or not. But it wasn't until it was nested about 17 deep in
subsequent DYNAMIC subroutines before it actually ran out of road..... :-(

And lo and behold, that SUBPROGRAM was in the XL (or SL, as it was back
then).

So if I'd linked the SUBPROGRAM in, it would have blown every time.... I
didn't know that.

--
Roy Brown

Posting with the OEnemy, tamed by OE-QuoteFix
http://jump.to/oe-quotefix