HP3000-L Archives

April 2002, Week 5

From:
John Pearce <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Pearce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Apr 2002 21:47:03 -0600
Greetings!

I'm having problems with output to a network printer.  The symptom of the
problem is that at about page 207, 208 or 209 the printed pages are no
longer readable text but turn into a non-sense stream of ASCII
characters.  As long as the spoolfile has less than 205 pages, there are no
problems.  For reference, a spoolfile with 277 pages is 10,624 sectors.

The problem happens with the spoolfiles created by one particular
application and the problem is reasonably consistent.  It occurs with both
the MPE network spooler and the Netprint spooler.  It happens when printing
to a LaserJet 5N, to a LaserJet 4100 and to a LaserJet 8150.

The problem happens during the working day when there are approx. 25-30
users on the 3000 (N-Class) and an estimated 60-70 users on the
network.  The problem also happens on weekends when there is one active
user on the 3000 and maybe 5 users on the network.

I've been told by the application provider that this is a flow control
problem.  I'm doubtful because other spoolfiles containing 300 pages or
more print from the 3000 without a problem during the workday.  Could
someone explain how flow control works with the networked printers?  Has
anyone seen this problem and/or have a fix?

TIA,
John
John Pearce  <[log in to unmask]>  | Bethesda Management Company
Speaking for only myself                | Colorado Springs, CO  USA