HP3000-L Archives

April 2002, Week 4

From:
John Clogg <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Clogg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Apr 2002 09:56:01 -0700
I have a MSG file with variable-length records.  Its FLIMIT is 100,000
records, and it contains about 900,000 records.  This isn't surprising,
since the actual record lengths are well below the maximum specified in the
REC parameter.  I needed to remove some records from this file, so I built
another one with the same attributes, and used FCOPY to copy some records
from the existing file to the new one.  The target file hit EOF at 100,000
records, and is occupying enough disk space to confirm my suspicion that
FCOPY is writing each record to the target file at its maximum length,
regardless of the length of the input record.  Is there a way to override
this action and get FCOPY to copy the records accurately?  Is there another
utility that will do this?