HP3000-L Archives

April 2002, Week 3

From:
"John R. Wolff" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John R. Wolff
Date:
Wed, 17 Apr 2002 06:55:48 -0400
On Tue, 16 Apr 2002 21:40:59 MDT, Scott Swartzell <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>Next question for all of you wizards...can I setup a system-wide
>UDC or command file that will send a message to @.sys and then
>do a 'bye' for the person trying to run godxl?

The answer to your question is: Yes and No.

Yes: It is possible to set up a UDC (not a Command File) for RUN.  You can
then interpret and define the parameters anyway you want.  We use it, for
example, in an application account that contains 3 program groups for:
PROG, OCTPROGed and NMPRG versions of the same program.  There is a group
dedicated to each type of program.  Since it is not always predictable
whether a native mode version of a particular program exists and difficult
to keep track of and edit every JOB or UDC/Command File for the optimum
version, we let the "RUN" command figure out the fastest ("best") level
program available and "reconfigure/override" the literal RUN command
dynamically within the UDC.  This works very well.  You could easily "edit"
for particular program names in the UDC.  Note: Doing this on a system wide
basis could have unpredictable consequences with HP or other install JOBs,
etc. - so you would need to be very careful.

No: Users could change the program name.  Or, they could use XEQ instead of
RUN (more UDC work).  And/Or, they could simply have the program in the
PATH and just type the program name.

It would be best to control Account/Group capabilites.

It would also be nice and somewhat useful if a program such as this were
designed to require the use of a special local library with some simple
function which would force the user into using an MPE command (RUN) which
could be monitored as above.  This would not necessarily be fool proof, but
at least forces the use of a controllable command.

If you use a company firewall you could possibly restrict access to sites
such as this.  Of course, they could bring in the program from home
internet access anyway.

Other people may have additional ideas on this problem.

Good luck.