HP3000-L Archives

April 2002, Week 3

From:
Stan Sieler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Stan Sieler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Apr 2002 11:42:43 -0700
re:
> I am restoring files from 2 different systems and want to restore only
> the most recent source and compiled programs from each. The same file names
> appears on both systems, but have been modified at different times.
> Does anyone have an idea on how to do this. Is there a tool readily
> available or some VESOFT routine.

<plug>
TINDEX, from Lund Performance Solutions (www.lund.com) can:

:run tindex; info="shownew"
FILE# FILE    .GROUP   .ACCOUNT  CREATED  MODIFIED ACCESSED FCODE SECTORS RECSZt
----- -------------------------- -------- -------- -------- ----- ------- ------
   1: FUM     .SOURCE2 .LPSTDEV >02 Feb02 02 Feb02 02 Feb04             0   128W

The COMPARE option places a flag character just after a file's
account name.  The following is a summary of COMPARE results:

  Flag  Meaning                                 # Occurrences
  ----  -------------------------------------   ------------
    >   Newer than disk file                            1
    <   Older than disk file                            0
    =   Same date as disk file                          0
    -   Disc file does not exist                        0
    ?   Error during comparison                         0

(SHOWNEW implies "COMPARE=MODIFY" and it filters out files on the tape that
aren't newer than the same-named file on disk.)

Then, grab that output, edit it into a simple list of filenames (sorry,
if TINDEX can do that, I can't remember how to ask it :),
and then :RESTORE from that indirect file.
</plug>

NOTE: do a backup of your files first ... that prevents you from problems,
mistakes, bugs, etc., in this process :)