HP3000-L Archives

April 2002, Week 3

From:
Evan Vaala <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Evan Vaala <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Apr 2002 09:43:53 -0400
>I did a quick web search and found documents that indicate the penitentiary
>is
>still operating as of 2001.  I will check with a friend to see if the
>facility
>is still under operation today.
>
>Regards,
>
>James Hofmeister
>Hewlett Packard
>Worldwide Technology Network Expert Center
>P.S. My Ideals are my own, not necessarily my employers.

Growing up in the area, I always found it confusing that the Stillwater
State Pen was not in Stillwater MN but rather in the next town South called
Bayport, MN ( actually approximately 1 mile away from the Andersen Windows
plant ).  The original prison was in Stillwater and some of it still exists
today as a museum.  Kind of a haunting looking place carved into a stone
cliff on the bluffs of the St. Croix river.  One of its claims to fame is
that it held a member(s) of the Jesse James Gang - Cole Younger I believe.

There is a newer facility that is approximately 5 miles west called Oak
Park Heights Correctional Facility.  This prison("facility") has been
recently featured on either "The Discovery Channel" or "TLC" - don't
remember.  It has been dubbed as the "Radisson" of prisons.  I think
prisoners have individual rooms("cells") and have their own key to
their "room"( I quite sure that it can be overridded ).  I believe it is a
new theory of rehabilitation.  I have very mixed emotions of this theory.

Sorry for spinning off on OT, but I highly doubt that this thread will
generate over 200 postings, but you never know.

Evan Vaala
Rockwell Automation