HP3000-L Archives

April 2002, Week 2

From:
Denys Beauchemin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 9 Apr 2002 15:06:14 -0500
Laws apply where the majority would blindly do things without thinking.

At any rate, I was displeased with HP's decision to not have Walter H.
nominated for election to the board.  Whilst I disagreed with him, I thought
his dissent was actually good for HP, because it helped them prepare a
better merger case.  I thought it was petty and vindictive of HP to simply
drop hi.  I thought there might be ulterior motives or reasons for this
seemingly stupid move.

So, as opposed to simply venting blindly on HP3000-L as many uninformed
people do, I went looking.  Last week at Solutions Symposium, I heard a
rumor. Since I would not post a rumor without attribution (unlike some
people who say, "I can't tell you who said this, but trust me on this!",)  I
wanted confirmation. This week, I found an article seemingly confirming the
rumor.  Here it is:

http://www.examiner.com/business/default.jsp?story=b.hewlett.0402w
http://australianit.news.com.au/articles/0,7204,4058886%5e15465%5e%5enbv%5e1
5306-15316,00.html

In a nutshell, in the aftermath of the vote, the board of directors
approached Walter Hewlett and wanted to make amends and move forward, with
him remaining on the board.  He acquiesced but the next morning filed his
lawsuit.  Nice guy, you can really trust him!  Par for the course.  He
originally voted in favor of the merger at the board meeting and then
campaigned heavily against it in public.  I would guess there is someone
else telling him what to do, outside the board meetings, of course.

Denys